Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Greetings, Friends,

I'm feeling excited and pleased that my Radical Compassion: The Essence of Nonviolent Communication has "sold out." This meets my needs for contribution and support!

I will continue to accept registrations with the intent of offering another series as soon as possible.

I received a touching note from one participant today who expressed both excitement and apprehension about the class. I responded with some empathy, then some advice, which I will pass on to you. I'd like to hear if using this simple self-emapthy process meets any of your needs!

Warmly,
Jim
________

I'm guessing your apprehension is around your needs for acceptance and/or competence, is that accurate?

You can get a head start on the class by "connecting with the life" within that apprehension. If you want, take about 5 minutes and write down everything you're telling yourself about attending the class. Uncensored. You will not have to share it with anyone! This is just for you and your growth...

Then, go back and mindfully read what you have written with empathic ears, offering yourself the gift of presence, focusing on the life within the "jackal". See if you can guess what feelings and needs are "under the surface" of what you have written. For example, if I wrote, "Everybody thinks this class is going to suck, especially after they hear me talk for about 30 seconds!", I might guess that I'm feeling anxious, scared, and needing a sense of acceptance and self-acceptance. I suggest you write the feelings and needs down next to each thought. For me, connecting with feelings and needs in this way is a life-serving strategy that meets needs for self-connection, learning, emotional liberation, and growth.

When I was a baby, baby giraffe (I've just graduated to baby giraffe!), I found this a valuable tool for learning and integrating a needs-based consciousness and developing presence with myself and others. I still use it when I get so stuck that nothing else seems to help me connect with life.

I'm hopeful you find this advice useful.

No comments: